Shah Peerally Law Forum is a FREE SERVICE offered to the entire immigrant community from Shah Peerally Law Group PC. Anybody can be a member of this forum – you do not need to be a client to be a member. If you have any question feel free to call us at: 510-742-5887

Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided , please use at your own risk. Note: Please do not post any negative comments or remarks about any person or organization. Do not post personal information details. Courts and government agencies can require us to disclose your email, IP address. etc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U-Visa Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Visa Question.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and so glad to be here. I've been looking for a forum I can get read about others in the same position as me and somehow google wouldn't give me a result to this site until today.

So here is my question or concern,

I was a victim of domestic abuse, my (now ex)boyfriend beat me outside of the apartment after a drinking night. The police was called and he admitted on hitting me, well there were court dates and a no-contact order given to me for "protection". This happened in 2015 and went through 2016. The no contact order is still active until the end of this month.

My ex violated the no contact order twice and was arrested. I couldn't handle the situation anymore and I decided to go see a therapist and I was suggested to apply for the U-Visa.

I went to see a well known immigration lawyer here in the city of Providence, RI which charged me $500 upfront to start the process after confirming that I was a great candidate for the visa. He did say that it wasn't in his hands that I would get approved, but I had a very strong case.

I signed the documents with the attorney January 28th, 2016 and they told me they were going to send the supplement B form to the police department within a few days. As of today, more than a year later.. I'm still waiting for the Supplement B form to be signed. Today is April 25th, 2017.

How long does it take for the police department to sign such document? I helped them in everything they asked, I missed days of work to be present in court because the officer handling my case asked me to. I answered all their questions and went above and beyond on what they needed.

I'm starting to get impatient and I don't know what to do, I call the attorney office and speak with the lady in charge of my case.. She always has the same answer "We have not received any response from the police department, but I'm going to call them again". I call her about two to three times a month.

What do you all think about it? Should I asked to have my case transferred to another person? I feel like this lady isn't doing anything at all.

I have read around that it has taken 3 to 6 months for most people to get the document signed by the officer.

What can I do in this case?

I have even asked her if there is anything I can do to, go to the police building, talk to something over the phone? She always says no, there's nothing I can do at the moment but to wait.

Please someone shine some light into this case, how do I proceed?

Thank you so much in advance.

PS: I'm a DACA Recipient and was told to keep renewing until the officer signs the document(s).

Originally posted by LSCutie View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and so glad to be here. I've been looking for a forum I can get read about others in the same position as me and somehow google wouldn't give me a result to this site until today.

I was a victim of domestic abuse, my (now ex)boyfriend beat me outside of the apartment after a drinking night. The police was called and he admitted on hitting me, well there were court dates and a no-contact order given to me for "protection". This happened in 2015 and went through 2016. The no contact order is still active until the end of this month.

My ex violated the no contact order twice and was arrested. I couldn't handle the situation anymore and I decided to go see a therapist and I was suggested to apply for the U-Visa.

I went to see a well known immigration lawyer here in the city of Providence, RI which charged me $500 upfront to start the process after confirming that I was a great candidate for the visa. He did say that it wasn't in his hands that I would get approved, but I had a very strong case.

I signed the documents with the attorney January 28th, 2016 and they told me they were going to send the supplement B form to the police department within a few days. As of today, more than a year later.. I'm still waiting for the Supplement B form to be signed. Today is April 25th, 2017.

How long does it take for the police department to sign such document? I helped them in everything they asked, I missed days of work to be present in court because the officer handling my case asked me to. I answered all their questions and went above and beyond on what they needed.

I'm starting to get impatient and I don't know what to do, I call the attorney office and speak with the lady in charge of my case.. She always has the same answer "We have not received any response from the police department, but I'm going to call them again". I call her about two to three times a month.

What do you all think about it? Should I asked to have my case transferred to another person? I feel like this lady isn't doing anything at all.

I have read around that it has taken 3 to 6 months for most people to get the document signed by the officer.

I have even asked her if there is anything I can do to, go to the police building, talk to something over the phone? She always says no, there's nothing I can do at the moment but to wait.

PS: I'm a DACA Recipient and was told to keep renewing until the officer signs the document(s).
    Hi LsCutie..

Sorry to hear that this happened with you.

I am totally agree with your attorney what she has told you. There is nothing you can do to make them sign the U visa certification fast. You can try to call them or go there personally but changes are second to none. Sorry to say this.

And another thing about you getting impatient, You have just started preparing your application and you are not yet went to immigration. If you are going to apply in 2017 means before December 2017 than there is a mammoth waiting in front of you. Getting impatient not going to help you at all.

You are looking at atleast 2.5 to 3 years to just getting DA if everything goes right by your side. Another 2 to 3 years after getting DA for getting actual U visa. So, make yourself be prepared for this painful waiting period.

The U visa certification must be signed by the Law Enforcement agency in order to be eligible for the U visa. I hope and pray for you to get it as soon as possible. There is no certain time frame where the Law Enforcement must sign or reply on the U certifications. In some cases it can be done in a week and in some it takes more than 3 months. It totally depends on the state, city, county. The police departments sometimes are not aware of U visa guidelines or how it works.

Ask your lawyer to send them a request to the concern department to look on your application. There less chances that they will look if you do the request by yourself.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by LSCutie View Post
      Hi everyone,

It took almost a year for them to sign mine. Have you tried calling the station?

Comment

LScutie... just like you, i am a victim of domestic abuse. I had to also go through the courts and my ex-boyfriend received no contact, 6 months probabtion and a 26 weeks mandatory batterers intervention course. This was in 2014... my supplement b was signed by the detective who investigated my case, which was signed within 2 months from the time my lawyer requested... i live in FL, but the timeframes seem to be different depending on state/ city...

As an alternative, the prosecutor or judge that handled your domestic violence court case can also sign supplement b... it doesnt have to be a law enforcement officer... hope this helps...

Comment

Latest Post

Collapse

Working...
        X