Shah Peerally Law Forum is a FREE SERVICE offered to the entire immigrant community from Shah Peerally Law Group PC. Anybody can be a member of this forum – you do not need to be a client to be a member. If you have any question feel free to call us at: 510-742-5887

Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided , please use at your own risk. Note: Please do not post any negative comments or remarks about any person or organization. Do not post personal information details. Courts and government agencies can require us to disclose your email, IP address. etc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I get a drivers license with DA

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I get a drivers license with DA

    Hi
    I was wondering if I can get my drivers license now that I've been placed on DA ?
    I'm about to move to Florida and would like to know if is possible ??
    I already send the paper for my EAD today ..
    Should I wait until they send me the work permit???
    Or can I apply without the work permit ???
    Thank you

  • #2
    Iral congratulations man. Glad to hear that u got ur DA.You have to wait till you get ur EAD card to arrive then u can get ur driving license. DMV wants actual EAD card to clarify ur immigration status. They don't accept I-765 approval notice either. So just wait till u get the actual EAD card.
    If you share ur U visa timeline that would be really helpfull. Thanks
    U visa Application date: March 10, 2015
    Biomatrics Done: April 20, 2015
    RFE August 09, 2018
    Waiting for DA.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Hussain_ex View Post
      Iral congratulations man. Glad to hear that u got ur DA.You have to wait till you get ur EAD card to arrive then u can get ur driving license. DMV wants actual EAD card to clarify ur immigration status. They don't accept I-765 approval notice either. So just wait till u get the actual EAD card.
      If you share ur U visa timeline that would be really helpfull. Thanks
      Hello and thank you for your response..
      August 19th 2014
      Bio September 30 2016
      Case transfer November 21 2016
      Bio for my son January 11 2017
      DA granted for both January 25 2017
      EAD for my son February 2017
      I just sent the paper for my EAD to my lawyer I hope she can send them next week ..

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Iral View Post
        Hi
        I was wondering if I can get my drivers license now that I've been placed on DA ?
        I'm about to move to Florida and would like to know if is possible ??
        I already send the paper for my EAD today ..
        Should I wait until they send me the work permit???
        Or can I apply without the work permit ???
        Thank you


        I live in FL and my application date is October 2014. In FL, once you have an application in process with USCIS for ANY type of visa case, you are allowed to get a Driver's License, renewable every 1 year. You do not have to wait until you have DA or EAD or actual U-Visa, you just need to show that you are in process. The DMV will need a copy of your Passport, 1-918 USCIS receipt, Supplement B (signed by all parties). You can confirm this at http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/aila/acceptabledocuments.pdf (Scroll down to Page #20) Since you are now DA approved, just take your approval letter with you as well. And since you are moving to FL, please note that you will also need to prove your FL address such a utility bill, bank statement, etc.

        The staff at the DMV do not know too much about the U-Visa process. So please be prepared that they will have to research the information while you are there.

        Congratulations and good luck!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Waiting View Post
          I live in FL and my application date is October 2014. In FL, once you have an application in process with USCIS for ANY type of visa case, you are allowed to get a Driver's License, renewable every 1 year. You do not have to wait until you have DA or EAD or actual U-Visa, you just need to show that you are in process. The DMV will need a copy of your Passport, 1-918 USCIS receipt, Supplement B (signed by all parties). You can confirm this at http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/aila/acceptabledocuments.pdf (Scroll down to Page #20) Since you are now DA approved, just take your approval letter with you as well. And since you are moving to FL, please note that you will also need to prove your FL address such a utility bill, bank statement, etc.

          The staff at the DMV do not know too much about the U-Visa process. So please be prepared that they will have to research the information while you are there.

          Congratulations and good luck!


          Thank you for the information 😍😍 I don't have th supplement B I just email my lawyer about that ..
          Let see if she wants to send a copy to me , but thank you I'll be down there in Florida in a few weeks maybe my ead comes soon

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Iral View Post
            Thank you for the information ���� I don't have th supplement B I just email my lawyer about that ..
            Let see if she wants to send a copy to me , but thank you I'll be down there in Florida in a few weeks maybe my ead comes soon

            Yes, your lawyer should be able to provide you the signed Supplement B without a problem, especially if that is what is needed to get your FL driver's license. So you should be fine.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Waiting View Post
              I live in FL and my application date is October 2014. In FL, once you have an application in process with USCIS for ANY type of visa case, you are allowed to get a Driver's License, renewable every 1 year. You do not have to wait until you have DA or EAD or actual U-Visa, you just need to show that you are in process. The DMV will need a copy of your Passport, 1-918 USCIS receipt, Supplement B (signed by all parties). You can confirm this at http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/aila/acceptabledocuments.pdf (Scroll down to Page #20) Since you are now DA approved, just take your approval letter with you as well. And since you are moving to FL, please note that you will also need to prove your FL address such a utility bill, bank statement, etc.

              The staff at the DMV do not know too much about the U-Visa process. So please be prepared that they will have to research the information while you are there.

              Congratulations and good luck!
              Exactly!! My husband and I already got our driver's licenses here in florida (we didn't even get our DA yet).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by maviba View Post
                Exactly!! My husband and I already got our driver's licenses here in florida (we didn't even get our DA yet).
                is thus the same process for CDL driving licence?
                And what office u where apply ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  My lawyer just sent me the supplement B , in a few weeks I will be able to renew my license .. Thank you everyone ��

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    In what part of Florida did you applied? And how long ago ??

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I applied for a renewal DL in South Florida in December 2016. I was able to obtain a 60 day temporary license (paper), which allowed me to drive from that day on. I was supposed to get the actual DL in the mail, but I never received it. So I had to go back to the same DMV in February 2017 and they had to re-process my application, again issuing me another temporary paper license. The DMV told me that I should be getting a replacement in the mail once Tallahassee has completed processing my application again. So again, it is one more thing I have to wait for.... (sigh).

                      Iral, any DMV in FL should be able to process your FL driver's license as they are all govern by the same rules set by the State of Florida. Since you received DA, you may get it while you are there at the DMV (I am not sure, but possible). Please keep us posted on your experience, as I am sure other applicants here on the forum may want to know what the process is as well to apply for a DL once they receive DA and what documents you had to present (that is, if it is just your DA approval only or everything).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Waiting View Post
                        I applied for a renewal DL in South Florida in December 2016. I was able to obtain a 60 day temporary license (paper), which allowed me to drive from that day on. I was supposed to get the actual DL in the mail, but I never received it. So I had to go back to the same DMV in February 2017 and they had to re-process my application, again issuing me another temporary paper license. The DMV told me that I should be getting a replacement in the mail once Tallahassee has completed processing my application again. So again, it is one more thing I have to wait for.... (sigh).

                        Iral, any DMV in FL should be able to process your FL driver's license as they are all govern by the same rules set by the State of Florida. Since you received DA, you may get it while you are there at the DMV (I am not sure, but possible). Please keep us posted on your experience, as I am sure other applicants here on the forum may want to know what the process is as well to apply for a DL once they receive DA and what documents you had to present (that is, if it is just your DA approval only or everything).

                        Thank you for the information...
                        I'm already DA approved , I already have the letter and just sent the papers for my EAD , I don't know how long does it take for uscis for to send a response .. But I will be in Florida in like 3 weeks , I will keep you guys posted for sure ....
                        I don't know if I should take the letter but I will find out soon ..

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Can an amazon receipt use as proof of address?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jayp View Post
                            Can an amazon receipt use as proof of address?
                            You can check here what items are acceptable: http://www.gathergoget.com/default.aspx It lists ALL acceptable documents for ID and Proof of Address.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just be prepared for another waiting process. DHS has to release your information to the DMV before they can process your license or ID. It used to take about two weeks, now you have to wait for over 90 days or more. Nothing is easy in this process.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X