Shah Peerally Law Forum is a FREE SERVICE offered to the entire immigrant community from Shah Peerally Law Group PC. Anybody can be a member of this forum – you do not need to be a client to be a member. If you have any question feel free to call us at: 510-742-5887

Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided , please use at your own risk. Note: Please do not post any negative comments or remarks about any person or organization. Do not post personal information details. Courts and government agencies can require us to disclose your email, IP address. etc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

applying For Illinois drivers licensee while still not given DA status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying For Illinois drivers licensee while still not given DA status

I contacted my lawyer about this and he still hasn't responded and was wondering if any one could help me out. Could I get a Illinois drivers license before being granted DA status?

Hi there
    You can get Il drivers license without any visa. Just need your passport and adresss approval .
    So like bank statements or any bill

Comment

If you have a valid social security number (card) and visa or any official document from the USCIS you can, but you won't be able to get an Illinois ID just with your foreign passport and bills. I live in Chicago and I tried to get one a few months ago.

I have a SS card not valid for employment, but it is a valid social security number. I went there to get an ID or Driver's License because I was told that I could obtain it with my foreign passport and some bills or bank statements. I even took official transcripts from college. I was not able to get an ID. They asked me for my Green Card or any Visa. Then, they asked me what my status was in this country. I felt intimidated and prefer not to try it again until I hear from the Visa U. Fortunately, Chicago is a welcoming city for immigrants. I don't know what it would have happened if I was in a small town. Probably I would have been deported

Based on my experience, I would just wait if you don't have anything official from the USCIS, but you have were granted DA status. You could try to stop by to one of the offices. It doesn't hurt to try it.

Comment

Drivers license not id card

Comment

They can't give you any of those. Drivers license or ID.
          Originally posted by Bee View Post
          Drivers license not id card

Comment

They do . You dont need a SS or any visa. I have it. Just passport and bills or bank statements for address from last 12 months

Comment

Thats called TVDL Regular. It’s different then reguler licence and only valid in illinois state only. TVDL valid for 3 years only and it’s says on license not valid for identity purpose. For regular license you must need Social Security and Ead or any status.

My wife use to have from valid may-2015 to may-2018. After i received Ead i chage that to Regular License.

Comment

Here is website for more information.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...TVDL/home.html

Comment

Only do not go if anyone have valid visa stamp in your passport. After visa expires then no problem you can get TVDL licence.

Just drive car in illinois state. Not valid to drive in other state or travel in plane not allowed with TVDL. If you drive car in other then Illinois state and other state police pulled over can get big trouble.

Comment

Any Washington residents can get drivers license regardless of status. Washington seem to be a welcoming state.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful View Post
                      Any Washington residents can get drivers license regardless of status. Washington seem to be a welcoming state.
                      Hi Cheerful,

I have no idea about Washington but yes in Maryland its possible and for that you need to file 2 years Tax papers and letter from Maryland Comptroller office along with Valid Passport & Maryland address proof. My both son got Maryland Driving License way back in 2014 when they were out of status.

I herewith Thank you to Dhruv, Jay, Jason, Waiting and all other Forum Members who provide me their best wishes and support for my both son U visa

Ajay

Comment

Washington state doesn’t need any legal status. They also accept expired passport if u have other documents to support like birth certificate, foreign drivers license.

Comment

Working...
                        X