Shah Peerally Law Forum is a FREE SERVICE offered to the entire immigrant community from Shah Peerally Law Group PC. Anybody can be a member of this forum – you do not need to be a client to be a member. If you have any question feel free to call us at: 510-742-5887

Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided , please use at your own risk. Note: Please do not post any negative comments or remarks about any person or organization. Do not post personal information details. Courts and government agencies can require us to disclose your email, IP address. etc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Timeline for DA sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeline for DA sucks

Hi

I understand that DA was introduced so that if U visa is not available and application qualifies for u visa, then they can get work permit in mean time.
    But, what I see from timelines posted in the forum, the time gap between getting DA and actual u visa is hardly a few months. They are taking 4 years to just give DA and then may be a couple of months for u visa. Why do not they give DA in a year and then put us on wait list. Wasn't that the whole purpose of introducing DA.
    Can we do something about this?

Where and how can we make a plea?

Comment

Originally posted by Hope2018 View Post
      Where and how can we make a plea?
      We have a lot of silent viewers on this forum just like me. I urge everyone to give their inputs and make this change. I really believe it is doable. So please respond on this thread with any useful suggestions on how and whom to reach in chain of command for this change.

Comment

Hi Sky,

Thank you for taking the initiative trying to make a change and to make the U program works as it was initially intended for helping and rewarding victims’ courage in cooperating with law enforcement. I have spoken with a lot of people from local congressman office, lawyers, volunteer groups etc. They all think the current process does not make sense and needs to be improved and strengthened. However, as you mentioned, there are bills floating around over the years, but no action has been taken. I am not sure if granting work permit or DA status falls within exiting regulation. My understanding is DA is granted conditional approval of the case. If the officers at USCIS has not even touched our files, can they issue work permits? Can anyone with legal background help to explain?

I think the first step that we could all participate is to reach out to our local congressman and senator’s office and urge them to vote for this bill or any proposals that could improve the U process, at least to grant work permit to applicants within a reasonable amount of time, 6 months or 12 months instead of 4 or 5 years just to hear back from USCIS.

If anyone has other inputs or suggestions, please speak up and maybe, we together, could make some positive changes in the near future.

Comment

I wish there was something we could do. I quit my job as an airplane pilot because I went out of status. Currently waiting my U adjudication as well. It hurts to look up in the sky, watch planes fly by, while working in construction. It has been almost 3 years for me. All I can is wait! I know the pain we all go through, the wait is cruel, and pointless. With the current government, it is likely to get worse. I wish we all get approved!

Comment

Originally posted by Hope2018 View Post
            Hi Sky,

Thank you for taking the initiative trying to make a change and to make the U program works as it was initially intended for helping and rewarding victims’ courage in cooperating with law enforcement. I have spoken with a lot of people from local congressman office, lawyers, volunteer groups etc. They all think the current process does not make sense and needs to be improved and strengthened. However, as you mentioned, there are bills floating around over the years, but no action has been taken. I am not sure if granting work permit or DA status falls within exiting regulation. My understanding is DA is granted conditional approval of the case. If the officers at USCIS has not even touched our files, can they issue work permits? Can anyone with legal background help to explain?

I think the first step that we could all participate is to reach out to our local congressman and senator’s office and urge them to vote for this bill or any proposals that could improve the U process, at least to grant work permit to applicants within a reasonable amount of time, 6 months or 12 months instead of 4 or 5 years just to hear back from USCIS.

If anyone has other inputs or suggestions, please speak up and maybe, we together, could make some positive changes in the near future.
            Who do we need to reach out to if you want to tell uscis to allocate more officers for u visa cases? I think we just need them to adjudicate our applications faster and grant DA. Current uscis director Cissna does not seem to be immigration friendly (although I just read briefly about him).. What is the correct procedure to approach them?

Comment

I am with you. The pain of not being able to work and support yourself during this long journey is real, stressful, depressing and discouraging. In my opinion, this is a waste of Human Resources as most of the cases will ultimately get approved. And we are not allowed to work and make contribution to US economy for so long during the wait time. What is the point?

I wish we could do something instead of just waiting in order to increase awareness of our pain and life struggle. Any idea or thoughts about what the proper chain of command is for us to make a plea to the authority for considering granting work permit to U visa applicants within a reasonable amount of time? We need some legal advice.

Comment

Hi Sky,

I was told that USCIS has their priority list for immigration cases. It is at their discretion to decide when and how to allocate resources for certain types of visas. I don’t know where U visa stands on their list, but definitely not on top of their list. I agree with you to find a proper communication channel to voice our painful struggles and hardships to the appropriate authority. Hopefully, we could get enough sympathy and attention for them to expedite the current process by allocating more resources, or find alternative plans to make the process faster.

Comment

I agree with all of you. Recently, a friend told me that his wife received the date of the interview for her green card. They submitted the petition in January of this year, their interview is in May. I understand that this kind of petitions are a priority, but what about the Visa U applicants? We've been victims of a crime. Where do U visa stands on that list?

Comment

We are at the bottom of the ladder when it comes to immigration. I looked on the USCIS site, they changed the tracker. It now tells you when you can request out of time action. But that is 2013. Which means if you applied in 2013 and you haven't been wait listed you can put in a request. As far as I am making out, the whole problem right now is that people from back in 2014 are only applying for their work permit once they have been placed on the wait list. So what ends up happening is they got DA and then apply for EAD. That then takes several months to be issued. By the time they get it they are about to get their 4yr DA and EAD. The whole system is wonky.

Comment

Working...
                    X