Shah Peerally Law Forum is a FREE SERVICE offered to the entire immigrant community from Shah Peerally Law Group PC. Anybody can be a member of this forum – you do not need to be a client to be a member. If you have any question feel free to call us at: 510-742-5887

Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided , please use at your own risk. Note: Please do not post any negative comments or remarks about any person or organization. Do not post personal information details. Courts and government agencies can require us to disclose your email, IP address. etc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U visa Bill into a Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U visa Bill into a Law

Hi all,

I hope everyone would know about that there are 2 bills in congress to amend U visa.

Everyone is sharing about the bill, but no one shared the real background.... let me say about that....

3 Things governs the USA,,,, The President, Congress, Court. All the roles of them are defined in the U.S constitution.

1. The people neediness is introduced as a bill in congress. The bill can become a law if it is passed in both the houses (House of Representative and Senate).
    Then the passed bill goes to the President desk. Within 10 days if the President signs the bills, then it becomes a law. If the President never signs within 10 days and if the congress is in session, then the congress can override the President's Veto power and then congress can pass that bill as a law without President's Signature.

2. The bills can be introduced in any of the house.

3. But in realistic, Once the bill is introduced. It is referred to the committee. Then, the committee refers the bill to the respective sub-committee. (This is where 90% of the bills introduced in congress dies before going to the floor for voting.) i.e. if the sub-committee fails to vouch a bill, then the bill dies automatically. The U visa bill is in the sub-committee right now.

I'll share more about the sub-committee functions later or google it.

How long it will take

Originally posted by Harrisj View Post
    Hi all,

I hope everyone would know about that there are 2 bills in congress to amend U visa.

Everyone is sharing about the bill, but no one shared the real background.... let me say about that....

3 Things governs the USA,,,, The President, Congress, Court. All the roles of them are defined in the U.S constitution.

1. The people neediness is introduced as a bill in congress. The bill can become a law if it is passed in both the houses (House of Representative and Senate).
    Then the passed bill goes to the President desk. Within 10 days if the President signs the bills, then it becomes a law. If the President never signs within 10 days and if the congress is in session, then the congress can override the President's Veto power and then congress can pass that bill as a law without President's Signature.

2. The bills can be introduced in any of the house.

3. But in realistic, Once the bill is introduced. It is referred to the committee. Then, the committee refers the bill to the respective sub-committee. (This is where 90% of the bills introduced in congress dies before going to the floor for voting.) i.e. if the sub-committee fails to vouch a bill, then the bill dies automatically. The U visa bill is in the sub-committee right now.

I'll share more about the sub-committee functions later or google it.
    So how long will it take to be proved by sub-committee?

Comment

Regarding a bill passed in Subcommittee....

1. Once the bill is introduced in the congress, it is then referred to the appropriate committee. Sometime, Committee can vouch a bill without any Consent from Subcommittee. If not, then the bill is referred to appropriate Subcommittee.

2. Subcommittee consists of members with majority and minority leaders, has to make initial consideration,framing issues, drafting measures and reports, and holding hearings and markups.

3. So, Answering to your question, I don't have a direct answer. Even though committee referred those 2 U visa bill to the Subcommittee, it has to first considerate the bill(issue) to hear. Bill is nothing but addressing an issue along with solution. All the issue has a priority and urgency. So, whether the Subcommittee can hear the u visa bill and making necessary amendments is purely based on political environment.

For Example, DACA issue is very familiar ongoing debate in congress since the media made the dreamers issue more familiarized since there are more than 800k dreamers in USA under DACA.

But in U visa, applicants are nearly about 200k to 250k applicants so far and the issue is not as famous as DACA.
      Last edited by Harrisj; 04-24-2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for reply, Harris.
        It is kind hard to face this situation, but no choice. I feel myself is so weak ......

Comment

Don't worry Mr...

My personal view is there should be some definite changes in U visa law for the following reasons....

1. U visa must be lucrative. So, that law enforcement and public prosecutor in any part of USA can use this visa to encourage nonimmigrant in prosecution. If this U visa law continues, then it becomes vague for nonimmigrant to help in prosecution in making their life in limbo.

2. The president put an end for DACA and TPS. But, they can't even touch U visa to end on no matter what.

So, both USCIS and Department of Justice has to push over congress in amending some changes in U visa at certain point to make it lucrative for making the society safe.

Comment

Working...
          X