Shah Peerally Law Forum is a FREE SERVICE offered to the entire immigrant community from Shah Peerally Law Group PC. Anybody can be a member of this forum – you do not need to be a client to be a member. If you have any question feel free to call us at: 510-742-5887

Disclaimer: We take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided , please use at your own risk. Note: Please do not post any negative comments or remarks about any person or organization. Do not post personal information details. Courts and government agencies can require us to disclose your email, IP address. etc.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U-visa domestic violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-visa domestic violence

Are domestic violence victims eligible for U-visa !? And under what circumstances will it be granted? I did not press chargers on my husband because I didn’t want him to get into trouble and the district attorney did not press charges. But the harassment continued and got worse. So I just filed for a restraining order. Should I even try for U-visa!?

In order for you to qualify you need to press charges against him. And if he is a U.S. Citizen or Resident of the United States. Even better for you. You can File something called VAWA. it will get you a work permit within up to 18 months for Approval. It's better than a U Visa cause applying for a U Visa the wait is 4 to 5 year's but if you file a VAWA petition you will have a work permit within 18 months. Where are you located at

Comment

Thank you for your post. My lawyer misguided me and filed for U visa for domestic battery. Now I'm learning something new about VAWA petition and I end up filling for it that's why I have prima facie latter from immigration. So please readers have self confidence and courage to come out and speak your situation to friends and family before your partner take advantage of the situation you are in .

Comment

Well thanx to this forum by the way, the users like leah,honey,ali,price and many others would gives correct information and support.

Comment

Originally posted by jvenegas1180 View Post
          In order for you to qualify you need to press charges against him. And if he is a U.S. Citizen or Resident of the United States. Even better for you. You can File something called VAWA. it will get you a work permit within up to 18 months for Approval. It's better than a U Visa cause applying for a U Visa the wait is 4 to 5 year's but if you file a VAWA petition you will have a work permit within 18 months. Where are you located at
          I applied for U visa one year ago. The guys who did crime on me are already charged 10 years together. Can I applie for VAWA too and have both applications?

I had a big surgery after accident and now everthing is fine but I have been infected by MRSA bactery because of surgery so I am not sure if I can expedite my U visa?
          Last edited by madafaka; 01-22-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by madafaka View Post
            I applied for U visa one year ago. The guys who did crime on me are already charged 10 years together. Can I applie for VAWA too and have both applications?

I had a big surgery after accident and now everthing is fine but I have been infected by MRSA bactery because of surgery so I am not sure if I can expedite my U visa?
            You can consult with a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayecon View Post
              Well thanx to this forum by the way, the users like leah,honey,ali,price and many others would gives correct information and support.
              Good luck and may you come across whatever is good for you.

Comment

U VISA Or VAWA

You can not apply for VAWA. In order to apply for VAWA is only if you have a legal resident or U.S. Citizen husban or wife not Boyfriend, you have to be married and you were a victim of Domestic Violence and you pressed charges. That's the only way you can apply for VAWA. in your case you can't expedite your U Visa. I have a friend that at applied for U Visa on April 6th 2015 and she is still waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavani1990 View Post
                  Are domestic violence victims eligible for U-visa !? And under what circumstances will it be granted? I did not press chargers on my husband because I didn’t want him to get into trouble and the district attorney did not press charges. But the harassment continued and got worse. So I just filed for a restraining order. Should I even try for U-visa!?
                  I am editing my original post to add this caveat first. If you told the police you did not wish to press charges you do not qualify for u visa. I cannot stress that enough. The instant disqualifier is that. The police will not sign a supplement b and you will not qualify for a u visa if you did not press charges even if you reported the crime.
                  Yes, domestic violence is a qualifying crime for u visa. If your husband is a US citizen or national, and under some other circumstances you may qualify for VAWA. It does not matter that there were no charges made. If you can show you were a victim in someway all the better. As a spouse you qualify to self petition. This means that you can get your green card without your spouse or anyone else sponsoring you. It also applies if a parent abusestheir child. So if he has been abusive to your kids that also enables you as the other to claim on their behalf. Good luck. Please if you are at risk contact a women's shelter or domestic violence hotline. There is a lot of help out there. You do not need to stay with an abuser even if you have no citizenship.
                  Last edited by Leah; 01-24-2019, 09:35 AM.

Comment

VAWA is only for victims of domestic violence. You must be related to the abuser and the abuser must be a citizen. The people who qualify for VAWA are spouses, children and parents of lawful permanent residents and US nationals. There are some other citizen categories but I do not know much about them. As far as expedite, there is no way to know who will get one. They are discretionary. But there are set categories that you must be able to fit into inorder to qualify. So for humanitarian or medical reasons, you have to show compelling proof. Merely getting MRSA is not enough unless you can prove your life is at imminent risk of death or severe disablement and you need your case approved so your derivatives can get approved before you die...just an example.

Comment

Even dependent spouses of H1Bs qualify. The rule was updated 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X