Thread: Would filing U Visa interfere with I-130?

Would filing U Visa interfere with I-130?

Hi
    My parents filed I-130 for me in Feb 2011.
    Receipt and priority date March 2011
    Approved (I-797) in 2014
    Going by the USCIS website, i'm looking at 1 more year until my priority date is here.
    I was outside of the country on filing.
    I came over on vacation with my kids, to help my mom while she recovered from surgery. She had to have more emergency surgeries.
    I stayed to help...which incurred over staying of visa.
    A couple of years later I married a USC. I did not apply for I-485. He strung me along, thought he could take advantage because i'D be too afraid to speak. A crime was committed, myself being the victim.
    The DA suggested I file for a U visa.
    Would this hurt my I-130 case which my priority date should be here in about 12 months.....or will the U Visa filing help me?
    Thanks in advance

Check the visa bulletin of the current month, and you can see if you can apply for the permanent residency.

If you apply for U visa you need to wait about 3 to 5 years for the approval. Sometimes USCIS give you deferred action, 1 to 2 years after received the documents and you can apply for work permit. If you don't receive the deferred action letter you can not obtain the work permit, you need to wait until they approve your U Visa.

The best you can do is seek and Attorney.

Thanks for the reply.
    I spoke to my attorney a while ago. We got it figured out. 😊