Thread: Question: AOS from U Visa to Green Card

Question: AOS from U Visa to Green Card

Hello everyone,

I am currently a U Visa holder and I will be applying for my green card next year October. I wanted to plan ahead and get a jump start on some of the required conditions. I have a question about this condition:

"Your presence in the United States is justified on humanitarian grounds, to ensure family unity, or is in the public interest;"

In my case, I do not currently have family ties, so I feel the "public interest" is the best fit for me. I tried asking my lawyer what this means, but he was no help. Does anyone know what this means? Could you give me examples of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am currently a U Visa holder and I will be applying for my green card next year October. I wanted to plan ahead and get a jump start on some of the required conditions. I have a question about this condition:

"Your presence in the United States is justified on humanitarian grounds, to ensure family unity, or is in the public interest;"

In my case, I do not currently have family ties, so I feel the "public interest" is the best fit for me. I tried asking my lawyer what this means, but he was no help. Does anyone know what this means? Could you give me examples of this?
    I am no expert and I am not yet ready to apply for AOS however, each case is different. Upon reaching the requirements to apply, I will use my professional career as the main drive for public interest. I am a commercial pilot and flight instructor. My role is to train and prepare new aviators for their flying careers, by doing a great job in my field, I believe I will contribute to society by graduating safe and well trained pilots for the new generation of aviators. There is also a big worry coming from the government that there is, and will be a pilot shortage in US in next decades or so. With That being said, I am a great asset for society. I will back this up by having letters from students and employer attesting to my abilities and performance in the industry. Having a greencard will allow me to fly international flights and expand my career and work for the airlines, with only EAD they will not hire me. This will be another important point.

Whichever field you are in, you can do the same. Why do you think you deserve to stay in US?

The time accrued in US is also a factor; I entered when I was 17 years old. By the time I apply for AOS, I will be here for 18 years, which means I have more time in US than I did in my home country.

I will also emphasize that I have never been arrested, or in trouble with police. If this is not your case, if you did have trouble with the law, have you learnt your lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by may2016 View Post
    I am no expert and I am not yet ready to apply for AOS however, each case is different. Upon reaching the requirements to apply, I will use my professional career as the main drive for public interest. I am a commercial pilot and flight instructor. My role is to train and prepare new aviators for their flying careers, by doing a great job in my field, I believe I will contribute to society by graduating safe and well trained pilots for the new generation of aviators. There is also a big worry coming from the government that there is, and will be a pilot shortage in US in next decades or so. With That being said, I am a great asset for society. I will back this up by having letters from students and employer attesting to my abilities and performance in the industry. Having a greencard will allow me to fly international flights and expand my career and work for the airlines, with only EAD they will not hire me. This will be another important point.

Whichever field you are in, you can do the same. Why do you think you deserve to stay in US?

The time accrued in US is also a factor; I entered when I was 17 years old. By the time I apply for AOS, I will be here for 18 years, which means I have more time in US than I did in my home country.

I will also emphasize that I have never been arrested, or in trouble with police. If this is not your case, if you did have trouble with the law, have you learnt your lesson?

Thank you. This information was helpful. I do own a successful mortgage business. So I do contribute to the US by paying taxes, providing US jobs and help Americans obtain financing for homeownership. I am also very much involved in my community. I do not have a criminal history. So I am hoping that this should satisfy the "public interest" condition. If anyone else has any additional comments, I would really appreciate it.