Thread: Driver's License in NYC after recent law change allowing to apply

Driver's License in NYC after recent law change allowing to apply

Hey everyone,

Asking if anyone has any info, a reliable source or even tried to get a driver's license recently in NYC after the recent law change allowing undocumented immigrants to apply for a license; it'd be great to have even as ID; would it be a regular application process? whom should i approach about this? is my first start the DMV?

Article about the law: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/n...censes-ny.html

Thanks in advance!

It is true. The law was passed. BUT I wouldn’t do it. The current political environment...especially in an election year. You are asking for problems. People need to understand if you are illegal even with a U visa application you can be deported. No matter what state law is federal laws are what you need to worry about. Anyone can report your details. Immigration is a big issue and a lot of people have a problem with the law being passed. Think about it. Consider your individual situation. Do you have any outstanding deportation orders...any convictions...anything that would make it easier to deport you???

Quote Originally Posted by Leah View Post
    It is true. The law was passed. BUT I wouldn’t do it. The current political environment...especially in an election year. You are asking for problems. People need to understand if you are illegal even with a U visa application you can be deported. No matter what state law is federal laws are what you need to worry about. Anyone can report your details. Immigration is a big issue and a lot of people have a problem with the law being passed. Think about it. Consider your individual situation. Do you have any outstanding deportation orders...any convictions...anything that would make it easier to deport you???

They have no reason to want to deport me, NYC is an immigrant friendly state so i don't believe they can go to people's homes, this law was passed to help us more then betray us right? but also, i'm in NYC, hard to track anyone down, i don't really have anything tied down to, can move easily, and if they really really wanted to and did all the effort to find one innocent young bystander victim of US crimes that are destroying my life then yeah they can grab me and i'll go home to my beloved family; following all their rules, being patient, wasting the best years of my life, losing all sense of freedom and being under vigilance and scrutiny on every act i do; I should be legal if it was not for their slow system mistreating us and yeah at the moment, I could go with an ID and could definitely use the ability to be able to drive and move and do things humans do...
    sorry.. sorry.. even things that are supposed to help us are traps in disguise... i just.. i really don't know anymore.. i just want to be treated as a human for once..

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaming92 View Post
    They have no reason to want to deport me, NYC is an immigrant friendly state so i don't believe they can go to people's homes, this law was passed to help us more then betray us right? but also, i'm in NYC, hard to track anyone down, i don't really have anything tied down to, can move easily, and if they really really wanted to and did all the effort to find one innocent young bystander victim of US crimes that are destroying my life then yeah they can grab me and i'll go home to my beloved family; following all their rules, being patient, wasting the best years of my life, losing all sense of freedom and being under vigilance and scrutiny on every act i do; I should be legal if it was not for their slow system mistreating us and yeah at the moment, I could go with an ID and could definitely use the ability to be able to drive and move and do things humans do...
    sorry.. sorry.. even things that are supposed to help us are traps in disguise... i just.. i really don't know anymore.. i just want to be treated as a human for once..
    You do realise every last one of us have been in the same boat. U visa is a long process. As a matter of fact all immigration is. If you are wasting your life then you have a choice to leave. If you want to go for it the law was passed and that is your prerogative. I specifically said if someone has any convictions or final orders of deportation. Like it or not...that is the law of the land. Maybe you don’t understand but you have to put your home address on your drivers license. So there is no chasing. They show up to your residence. If you are not a priority for removal then do go ahead. But if you think for one second that applying for a u visa offers some sort of protection...you are wrong. Until you get approved you have no rights. People get rounded up and deported every single day by ICE. But like I said if you have no convictions or orders of deportation do as you wish.