Thread: J1 studen did not close my bank account when left. Any issue?

J1 studen did not close my bank account when left. Any issue?

Hello everyone. I'm Italian and I took part to a J1 student program. It was an incredible adventure there and I had the chance to travel the US and visit Canada as well. I have a question: when I first got the US, I opened a bank account with Bank of America in Orleans, MA - where I had my J1 experience. I've been in order with all the documents and stuff, visa, reporting my status to InterExchange, paying taxes and fees. Then, when my program ended, I decided to visit NYC before to come back to Europe. The thing is that I forgot to close my bank account when I left the USA. Now I know I should have close it but I totally forgot to do it.

I would love to visit the USA again in the future as tourist and my question is: there would be any issue with the fact I didn't close my bank account there when I was in the US with my J1 visa? My concern is that I could be stopped at the border and not allowed to enter the country again or that I will have to pay something if I will ever visit the US again. The Bank in Orleans, MA knows that I was a J1 student so maybe they closed my account by themselves when they noticed I was not using my account. I have never received any letter or email from the bank about that so I don't think there could be any problem, but I'm a bit concerned anyways since I don't want to have troubles and maybe ruin a future holiday there. Thank you so much in advance.

It's definitely not gonna be problem for you. Nobody will ask you about that.

a.moli, you should check your account online. What kind of account it was? usually they charge monthly fee if yo do not maintain a certain amount in that bank. Since you were student and you should have had a different account, check if it is in negative balance , if negative call the customer service for closing that account and they will waive whatever is negative balance, so you are good.

Quote Originally Posted by madafaka View Post
    It's definitely not gonna be problem for you. Nobody will ask you about that.
    Yes, I agree with you.