Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End of 2018.

For me, it was difficult. First, because to study in a collage, you need at least three years of school in this country. Second, because I came to USA four years ago and I didn't speak English. After a lot of confusion (mine and admission officers' ), intents and discourages, I was able to register. Also important was the state program that covered almost halt of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelio View Post
    For me, it was difficult. First, because to study in a collage, you need at least three years of school in this country. Second, because I came to USA four years ago and I didn't speak English. After a lot of confusion (mine and admission officers' ), intents and discourages, I was able to register. Also important was the state program that covered almost halt of the cost.
    Has it been worth it? The 3 years high school is not needed. That is only if you want to qualify for certain things. You just need proof that you completed high school. If you don't have that then you can actually take a test. Or what I recommend is to go to a community college and transfer after. Cheaper that way too. Language barriers can be tough. I think that if anyone wants a chance to make it they should definitely look into ESOL classes. America is great but there is a lot of intolerance. Not speaking their language makes it even harder. Studying also helps with making friends if you don't have family around. Good for you for sticking it out. If anyone wants to find out about funding, once you have a full U visa it is easier. Don't think U visa gets federal aid but can get some state aid. Also you get instate tuition. Depending on where you are, undocumented students can get international fees. That is expensive.

And I will share this for absolutely anyone that may be interested...you can also message me for more info. I am happy to help. If you want to complete a qualification and you just can't afford it, there is a program to help pay for the first year. You will need to take some exams for college credit.

best wishes and 2019 would be a victory year

Quote Originally Posted by Leah View Post
    Hi everyone. Just wanted to take the time to wish everyone season's greetings. Another year down in this journey and we, for the most part, are still in the same place.
    For me anyway, I have battled so much and I can't see things changing. Another year away from my kids and another year waiting.... But also, another year towards my degree, another year getting the healthcare I need. Another year of realizing just how strong I am. That after everything I have been through I can still say I'M OKAY.
    It is a long long road to being legal but if there is anything that you can gain I encourage you to take it and make the most of it. Hoping 2019 brings us some magic in the form of new u visa legislation. Even if it doesn't I wish you ALL the very best for the year ahead. Merry Christmas and may 2019 be prosperous.
    i wish everyone the best and let this year will overcome to everyone, including me that we will hear good news. merry christmas and happy new year folks

It has been worth it. I have been learning a lot about the American Culture and how the Educational System works over here. To be able to register in College and take credit classes, I studied in a Community Collage and got my GED. But that was not enough, I needed more school hours to comply with the three years of school. So, I took extra High School classes. Although I'm paying for the books, parking, and other fees, the first college year state program pays for the classes, up to a maximum.
    Winter is my second session. Fall was a great experience and I got used to school here because is very different to the University in my country. Right now I'm taking Collage Math and a Computer related class. I hope I can get some financial aid for my next year.
    While I wait for my case to be resolved I think I can get at least an Associates Degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Adelio View Post
    It has been worth it. I have been learning a lot about the American Culture and how the Educational System works over here. To be able to register in College and take credit classes, I studied in a Community Collage and got my GED. But that was not enough, I needed more school hours to comply with the three years of school. So, I took extra High School classes. Although I'm paying for the books, parking, and other fees, the first college year state program pays for the classes, up to a maximum.
    Winter is my second session. Fall was a great experience and I got used to school here because is very different to the University in my country. Right now I'm taking Collage Math and a Computer related class. I hope I can get some financial aid for my next year.
    While I wait for my case to be resolved I think I can get at least an Associates Degree.
    You may be able to get aid just not Federal. Some states might even allow you to get State aid. The three years you are talking about is because of the state you are. I think you are referring to the requirement to get in-state tuition. Correct me if I got that wrong. Not all states are the same. Some you need a year. I did for my tuition. Books are expensive. Try and resell yours after. Good luck with your studies.

You are right with the In-state tuition. Yes, the books are very expensive. Last semester, instead of buying a $120.00 book I rented the e-book for less than a half of the selling price although they gave you access to the book only for five month.